Upon learning I was going to become a Mum recently I realised that although I love home decor I knew NOTHING about nurseries and how to style them, let alone what I would need to buy in order to make that happen.
So over the past few months I have read blog upon blog, bought tonnes of baby magazines, filtered through endless Pinterest & Instagram posts and sourced a gorgeous range of nursery decor items for our store to make your job much easier.
There are really just 5 simple steps to take to turn an empty room into a gorgeous & stylish nursery space
1. Choose your colour palette first - This will make the rest of your job SO much easier. Smaller sized rooms such as nurseries look much more put together when only 2-3 colours are used. It also makes searching for the products you want to put in there simpler. In my case I found out I was having a girl so chose Pink & Grey as my primary colours ( It's not to say you can't add a splash of something different in but mostly stick to these for a cohesive look )
2. Decide on your cot - The cot you choose will be your little ones bed for the next 2-3 years so it should be sturdy and made from quality materials. Many cots these days can also be converted into toddler beds so decide whether that is something you would be looking for. The mattress should be firm and fit snugly so that little hands cannot get trapped & it's a good idea if the mattress height can be adjusted for when they get older.
On top of all of this you of course also want it to look gorgeous! I fell in love with this Scandi style Teeny Cot which is gender neutral and has all of the above features.
3. Invest in a canopy - Although a canopy is not a necessity for a baby it can really make a nursery come alive. They look beautiful hanging over or near the cot while your new addition is little and then when they get older can be styled in a corner of the room as a play area with cushions, books & toys. Mobiles & lights can be added for that special touch also.
4. Make a play area - It won't be long before your newborn will be able to move around and will need a little play area. This is really simple to do by just adding a plush play mat & some cute cushions to the floor. Belly Baskets are a great way to store extra toys as well & look super cute.
5. Personalise the room with Wall Art - Prints & Posters add that special touch to a nursery and help fill in any blank space. We make a range of Foil Prints here at Peppa Penny and can personalise them to suit your decor. Our birth prints with custom names & dates are especially popular! To top it off hang them in a magnetic wooden frame instead of a traditional style.